Now we’ve finished all the basics, we’re back from being away, the snow has gone and the rain has finally stopped, it’s time to think about clearing the site, landscaping and planting. The immediate thing that strikes you is just how much ‘stuff’ there is that’s left over when you build a house. And this is even given all the steps we’ve taken to reduce waste, particularly with the insulation where the Chris and his crew were superb at making use of almost every piece of off-cut wood fibre. And yet… ‘Ecological’ products come wrapped in layers of plastic. Roofers leave inexplicably large pieces of off-cut steel lying around. Siding comes in job lots that always seem to require one more pallet than you thought you would need. And so on. It would be really nice if you could plan the entire house to be precise about the amounts of materials you would need and would fit with commercially-available quantities, but that’s just not feasible.
So after the trials and tribulations of building, the challenges, the fun and the romance, there seems to be a of ‘waste’ to deal with. And there will be more once we start demolishing the old house. Anything that’s unused or reusable, we’re going to store in the barn. Material that could be of use in maintaining the new house (like any uninstalled siding, decking planks etc.), we’ll keep. We also have some plans for greenhouses and chicken coops, and so there’s plenty of stuff we can use for those projects. Other material, we will offer to anyone who thinks they can make use of it. Some, we can recycle, but unfortunately there will be some sent to landfill – as little as we can, but it seems very difficult to do an entirely ‘zero waste’ build within the current system.
But first of all, it all this stuff to be sorted out. So that’s what I’ll be doing over the coming week!
Not only the left-over fine gravel, but the temporary stone driveway has to be moved
We have had temperature and humidity data recorded in the house over the last 4 months as part of a project conducted by Anthony Mach, a passive house designer and Building Science research student at Algonquin College. The preliminary data is now available, courtesy of Anthony. What we have here is essentially the raw temperature and humidity records in two locations: one in the middle of the open-plan downstairs space (1st Floor), and the other upstairs on the landing (2nd Floor). There is a lot of analysis to be done with this data combined with other data on external temperatures, energy use and so on.
A few things to note when looking at these charts:
We were only half-moved in for most of November – we started using the kitchen sometime in the second week.
We were away from the 20th to the 30th of December, and had the HRV just ticking over, which means that the house would have had almost no internal heating. You can see the drop, but what’s remarkable is that the place still never got below 13ºC.
Once everything was back to normal and functioning properly, from early January, the temperatures in the house were generally between 17ºC (average night-time low) and 19ºC (average day time high) upstairs, with the extremes being 15.5ºC and 21ºC; and 18ºC (average night-time low) and 20.5ºC (average day time high) upstairs, with extremes of 16.5ºC and 22ºC. The difference is probably explained by a combination of the use of the extra heating downstairs, the passive solar effect from the larger windows, and generally that there is more activity downstairs for more of the time.
The humidity has generally been where you’d want it, between 40 and 50%, gradually drying out as winter goes on. Our HRV having an ERV core helps in stopping the place getting too dry.
Marcel, the planning officer, came round this morning to do the final inspection that allows us to have our certificate of occupancy. And everything was fine. He really loves the house. And so do we.
So we are, in one sense at least, “finished”.
However, there is still a lot of work to do. Inside, we have to finish the Japanese room and build book shelves. Outside, we have to install solar panels, both solar thermal (which we already have, ready to put up) and solar PV (which we don’t have, yet), and there is landscaping and all kinds of garden work to do once the snow clears and the temperatures rise. And then we have to deal with the old house – we applied for a demolition permit this week (and there will be more about all that in future posts).