Now we’ve finished all the basics, we’re back from being away, the snow has gone and the rain has finally stopped, it’s time to think about clearing the site, landscaping and planting. The immediate thing that strikes you is just how much ‘stuff’ there is that’s left over when you build a house. And this is even given all the steps we’ve taken to reduce waste, particularly with the insulation where the Chris and his crew were superb at making use of almost every piece of off-cut wood fibre. And yet… ‘Ecological’ products come wrapped in layers of plastic. Roofers leave inexplicably large pieces of off-cut steel lying around. Siding comes in job lots that always seem to require one more pallet than you thought you would need. And so on. It would be really nice if you could plan the entire house to be precise about the amounts of materials you would need and would fit with commercially-available quantities, but that’s just not feasible.
So after the trials and tribulations of building, the challenges, the fun and the romance, there seems to be a of ‘waste’ to deal with. And there will be more once we start demolishing the old house. Anything that’s unused or reusable, we’re going to store in the barn. Material that could be of use in maintaining the new house (like any uninstalled siding, decking planks etc.), we’ll keep. We also have some plans for greenhouses and chicken coops, and so there’s plenty of stuff we can use for those projects. Other material, we will offer to anyone who thinks they can make use of it. Some, we can recycle, but unfortunately there will be some sent to landfill – as little as we can, but it seems very difficult to do an entirely ‘zero waste’ build within the current system.
But first of all, it all this stuff to be sorted out. So that’s what I’ll be doing over the coming week!
Not only the left-over fine gravel, but the temporary stone driveway has to be moved
While we’ve been through an interesting journey building our own place, there are many people in Canada who don’t have the choice of doing so. This is an amazing country in many ways, but its deepest and most unresolved issue remains its relationship to First Nations, and the conditions in which many indigenous people are living, after years of colonial dispossession, extermination, and attempts to destroy culture and connections to the land. The housing situation in indigenous communities is one of the worst current scandals. Many indigenous communities have terrible housing conditions, made worse rather than improved by multiple failed central government attempts to improve things with inappropriate and ill-thought out solutions.
But this is a government issue, right? Nothing I can do about it personally? Well, leaving aside what we might do to organise at that level, there are many things one can do to support indigenous communities, and in the area of sustainable, livable housing, there is a new and excellent initiative which we’ve been following to support the development of a new model for sustainable, expandable indigenous housing. The One House, Many Nations project is now at the stage of building a prototype to take forward to design expos and look for further funding for improvement and eventual implementation.
We encourage everyone to give the project something. They are looking to raise just $50,000 in the next month. If everyone who regularly reads this blog gave $50 that would almost cover it. It’s not a lot. But it could make a huge difference.
We have had temperature and humidity data recorded in the house over the last 4 months as part of a project conducted by Anthony Mach, a passive house designer and Building Science research student at Algonquin College. The preliminary data is now available, courtesy of Anthony. What we have here is essentially the raw temperature and humidity records in two locations: one in the middle of the open-plan downstairs space (1st Floor), and the other upstairs on the landing (2nd Floor). There is a lot of analysis to be done with this data combined with other data on external temperatures, energy use and so on.
A few things to note when looking at these charts:
We were only half-moved in for most of November – we started using the kitchen sometime in the second week.
We were away from the 20th to the 30th of December, and had the HRV just ticking over, which means that the house would have had almost no internal heating. You can see the drop, but what’s remarkable is that the place still never got below 13ºC.
Once everything was back to normal and functioning properly, from early January, the temperatures in the house were generally between 17ºC (average night-time low) and 19ºC (average day time high) upstairs, with the extremes being 15.5ºC and 21ºC; and 18ºC (average night-time low) and 20.5ºC (average day time high) upstairs, with extremes of 16.5ºC and 22ºC. The difference is probably explained by a combination of the use of the extra heating downstairs, the passive solar effect from the larger windows, and generally that there is more activity downstairs for more of the time.
The humidity has generally been where you’d want it, between 40 and 50%, gradually drying out as winter goes on. Our HRV having an ERV core helps in stopping the place getting too dry.